As the only traditional advertising format still posting market share growth, out-of-home advertising has gone through some significant changes over recent years – and will continue to evolve and develop in the face of increased competition from other media platforms. Read about some of the latest trends here.
Out-of-home should focus on improving the audience experience.
Over the last decade, advertising has exploded from a handful of media channels. At one time, TV advertising reached nearly 80% of the population in one night. Today, the dominance of TV, radio and print has become more diluted with the advent of digital marketing platforms that extend the message delivery to a tech-savvy and interconnected audience. There is a push –pull effect that allows audiences to engage rather than simply be broadcast to.
Out-of-home & mobile, better together
Mobile phone ownership around the world is ubiquitous and consumers are on their mobile devices for more than 3 hours per day, so the opportunity for marketers to leverage OOH’s complementary messaging and footprint can generate better response rates than by digital alone. OOH is perfectly poised to provide the physical connection to the digital message with its massive footprint. OOH advertising is embedded in their daily space and commute, intercepting the audience on their way to work, exercise, running errands, entertainment, dining etc. The powerful combination can push calls to action, branding and promotional opportunities and pull audience attribution along with location data. As a result, both audience and marketer win.
Out-of-home will gain even more ground
The OOH space continues to grow with traditional static out of home being converted to digital at a rapid pace. Digitizing OOH is about continuing to improve the return for the audience and brand marketer through:
- Interaction: unique experiences connecting the audience to the message, reinforcing the branding takeaway, weaving a web of information and access instantaneously
- Immediacy: contextually relevant information is in hand and in real-time, via smartphone and OOH media
- Vibrancy: interconnected screens and video captivate audiences in our visually driven world that elevates the story in byte size pieces
- Accountability: posting and impression data can be quantified with speed and accuracy
- Data collection: better demographics can be captured via a mobile strategy combination and used to hone future marketing plans